Moving to a new country takes so much time and preparation, you might not think about how you’ll feel when you arrive. Adjusting to an unfamiliar location and culture can be scary, but you shouldn’t be intimidated. Read on for some useful tips on making it easier.
Planning a Smooth Transition to Your New Country
Here are some things to think about before you leave, and when you get there:
- Start organising as soon as possible: there’s lots to think about when moving, so getting things like bank accounts, documents and SIM cards sorted in advance – or soon after you arrive – will help to reduce your stress.
- Learn the language: try and get the basics down before you move. If you want help when you’re there, talking to locals is a great way to practice – just jump in! But, if you need a little more guidance first, take some language classes to improve your skills.
- Get to know your neighbourhood: introduce yourself to your neighbours, find some local spots and explore what the community has to offer. From restaurants to hairdressers and parks to clubs, you’ll find favourite locations and friends for the years to come.
- Make it feel like home: try to get unpacked and settled as soon as possible. Setting up a space that is familiar and comforting will help you relax, and will provide somewhere to retreat to if moving becomes a bit too much.
- Get used to a new routine: different countries have different ways of doing things, and it’s important that you adapt so you can enjoy yourself and the culture. For example, many Europeans will eat dinner much later in the evening than in the UK, and may have a siesta in the afternoon.
- Keep in contact with loved ones: it’s difficult to be away from family and friends, and though you shouldn’t use them as a crutch after you move, you should make sure that they’re part of your new life. Phone calls, social media and Skype are all great ways to let them know about your adventures and stay in the loop from back home.
- Stay positive: moving to another country isn’t easy, and there are bound to be times when you feel overwhelmed. Accepting that sometimes missing home is inevitable and focusing on why you moved may help – remember to lean on your loved ones and new friends for support!
Moving abroad is an exciting step to take, but it isn’t without its stresses. Use our professional, overseas residential shipping service to sort out sending your belongings to your new country, so you can focus on the move. Contact us to find out how we can help you today.